Monday, September 1, 2008

Quiet in the marsh today...

Today was a southerly wind and it was very quiet in the marsh today. It must be because it is Labor Day! As I said before birds do not look at the calendar for their activities. Twenty-two birds graced us for the day including 3 recaptures. We still are maintaining seven species for warblers a day.

We did add a new species for the fall: Bay-breasted Warbler. I would ask you to study the picture because it may come back as a quiz bird at a later date. As my volunteers know I am the Quiz Queen. They may have other names for me I suppose. It keeps them on their toes. The other highlight for the day was a hatching year Ruby-throated hummingbird with its streaked throat. I saw one earlier this morning trying to find nectar from any flower it could. It has been so dry the plants are drying up. This is a good reason to plant and water nectar flowers for the migrating hummingbirds.

Top four species banded
Gray Catbird - 4
Common Grackle - 3
Common Yellowthroat - 3
American Robin - 2

It is forecasted to remain in the high eighties and low nineties for the next few days so I do not expect much migration southward.

Enjoy the beauty of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment